Monday, May 10, 2010

Time (is on his side)

"Time's on my side, Lor."

Thus spake my six year old just now, quite calmly, as we were engaging in a rare bedtime battle. I was trying to impress upon him the idea that my will is adamant, that there was no way he could wear me down. There was no way in the world I would be bringing him a chewy multivitamin, another strawberry, a tall glass of milk, one of his 17 thousand puffles, a new/cooler pillow, a flashlight, his water pistol, a skipping rope, the "J" volume of Encyclopedia Britannica.

I finished my rant and there was silence on the other side of the door. There still is, as I write this. I'm sitting here in silence thinking about the undeniable fact that time is, in fact, on his side and not mine.


And that one day all I will wish for is to be able to bring him a tall glass of milk and his water pistol.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds all too familiar. Why do they always wait til right before bedtime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because they don't want to go to sieep, silly! It's the same in every generation. That's why GOOD NIGHT MOON has sold trillions of copies.
    But, I must say, Lief like his mom is hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete