Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cauliflower witch

Hold tight, mates, this is something you won't ever see again: a recipe. On WornRagged.

I am not a good cook. I can make toast and tea, usually know the difference, and with the help of Mark Bittman, can even make falafel. But it's heavy seas and lots of churning stomachs and generally, it's best if the first mate handles the situation in the mess.  Which he is genuinely pleased to do. Considering.

BUT: I have a superpower. And it's one that you want to know about because it involves the world's third-least loved vegetable: cauliflower.

Tonight, and I tell you this without a world of a lie, Kid begged for THIRDS. Of cauliflower. I know, you want to touch me.

I'm not that big on touching, so instead, I'll pass along a very easy (like, duh easy) recipe for making cauliflower that even children will eat.

Take one head of cauliflower and break it into little trees. I know there's a tech term for that that ends in
-let but I've had some Riesling. Moving forward.

Boil the little trees for about two minutes in salted water, then let them drain.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil and as much garlic as you think you can stand plus two more cloves, chopped, for 30 seconds over medium heat.

Turn the heat to medium high, add the little trees, and make the whole thing brown. Wreck the garlic, even. Just brown it all.

Then squeeze one lemon over top it all, add some salt and: you will not believe it. Your children will eat cauliflower.

I know. I'm a witch. A witch with one trick. A one-trick witch (YOU try saying that after a little of the golden grape).

 I mean it, though: ONE trick. Don't ask me for help with your tea and toast because I will be of no use to you whatsoever.

Go forth and devour the cruciform vegetables like joyful harlots.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Magic. Will try. Just posted this yesterday myself. Cauliflower as a pizza crust, whoda thunk. http://cphfoodfollies.blogspot.com/2012/04/gluten-free-pizza.html

    ReplyDelete