Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Day 1

It's the first day of school! It's the first day of school!

LET THE BELLS RING! 

I can change back into my pajamas, eat a bag of chips for breakfast, watch the Season 3 finale of Once Upon a Time, play music with inappropriate lyrics, paint my toenails in the kitchen, go out for coffee, go shoe shopping, chat online with certain favorite people in Minnesota and Germany and across the park, I can finally sit down in front of my long-neglected manuscript, and I generally celebrate my freedom.

Mostly, though, I will be sitting quietly on the couch, missing my boy, hoping he solves his girl trouble, smiling at the thought of his inevitable lunchtime chocolate-milk mustache and what that says about his relative maturity, and waiting to hear the first tales about Grade 6 with his favorite teacher.  It's Day 1 of the last year of real childhood.

Let the bell ring. Soon.

(PS: I will get over it. We'll talk tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment